Monday, January 23, 2012

Going Dark for a While

I starting blogging because I read having an on-line presence was a must if I want to get published.  It felt strange at first, then I started to enjoy it.  It was like having a whole new circle of friends.  Many were writers - published or unpublished - so we shared some of the same interests and everyone was very supportive.  I also found a lot of information I might never have seen otherwise.

But I seem to have worked myself into a corner.  I'm spending too much time blogging with writers and not enough time being one.  This has become especially clear since the beginning of the New Year.  I set up several goals for getting back on track and tackling my post-beta-read rewrites and so far I'm just chasing my tail.

Time for me to re-focus.  I'm going to step back from blogging for a bit until I've got my writing groove back.  I hope you won't forget me while I'm gone.  Good luck with all the great stuff everyone's got going on.


Groaner of the Day:  Dr. Watson arrives at 221-B Baker Street and is stunned to find his friend Sherlock Holmes out front in an overall, applying a pale yellow gloss to the front door.


"Good Gad, Holmes," cried the stupefied Watson, "What is that supposed to be?"

Holmes turned to his friend, one eyebrow raised.  "A lemon entry, my dear Watson."

18 comments:

Larri said...

I totally get it. When I get bogged down with blogging, I end up reading about sewing instead of actually stitching up projects. I'll anxiously await your return...but please, take all the time you need. ☺

Oh, that groaner! I did just that. Happy Monday, sweet bloggy friend! ☺

Sarah Tokeley said...

I'll miss you and your groaners, but you're doing the right thing of course. The 'real' writing always comes first. Take all the time you need, we'll be here when you get back :-)

Dru said...

Good luck with your writing and I'll miss you.

Unknown said...

Good luck getting a workable writing schedule organized. Writing the more important priority, though I'll miss your blogs.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A great platform with nothing to promote doesn't do you any good - get to writing! And see you when you return.

Jessica R. Patch said...

I will miss your groaners for sure! But the story is most important, so happy writing! See you when you get back!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Sounds to me like you need to go back to "work". Pack up your laptop and head out of the house to somewhere without internet - somewhere without interruptions - and write. Or lock yourself inside your new office, with a sign on the door that says "Do Not Disturb".

I figure that's what I'll have to do when I can finally quit the paying job. Writing is work, and it should be treated as such.

Good luck in getting back into writing. Maybe I'll see you at one of the writers meetings!

Mason Canyon said...

You will be missed, but understand your writing needs to come first. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way. Take care and see ya soon.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Maria Zannini said...

I totally understand. That's why I went to 2x a week. It's much more manageable for me.

You're on my reader so I'll keep an eye out for you. :)

Angela Brown said...

Being a writer is first and foremost. Certainly understand.

And I had to read that last line of the groaner twice, but I got the a lemon entry point.

HA!

LD Masterson said...

Thanks, all. (Yeah, I'm going, I'm going.)

E. M. Prokop said...

LD! Awww...I'm just getting used to reading your blog, but you gotta do what you gotta do. We will all miss you, but it's important to get in touch with the reason you started this in the first place...good luck!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Of course we won't forget you!
And enjoy your time off. The writing has to always come first

Robert Guthrie said...

Good for doing what you need to do! I'm a big fan of how a short, weekly or every other week blog keeps us in the mix but allows for the most important thing, our own writing. Good luck!

btw, I, too, have been locked out of commenting, even reading the ones on my blog. No idea why, but it seems to have cleared.

Margo Kelly said...

Yup. Keep those priorities straight! We'll be here when you get back! :)

Anonymous said...

Like most everything else, ther eis a balance. If building an audience is a goal, there eventually has to be something for audiences to enjoy!

With that, off to write....

Arlee Bird said...

Can't blame you much for this. Look at me--weeks behind in my commenting and visiting and months behind in writing. After April I may have to do this as well.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Margo Kelly said...

I hope you are doing well. :)

And, btw, I gave you an award! Stop by my 4/1/12 post to pick it up.

Or, don't stop by ... I know you're not doing the blogging thing right now. So, feel free to disregard!!!!